Need big help on my dealer issues with the '99 ping (long)

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 18:33:54 EDT

Does anyone have the full text & info on TSB 18-06-00 (PCM flash for V8
pinging)?

I think I recall someone saying that it retards the timing by 4 degrees;
What, exactly, are the side effects of retarding the timing like this?

Spent more time on the phone with "Pete the Service Manager" at Sam Dell
Dodge today. Once again, he could not tell me what the flash actually
did, and could not put someone on the phone who can. He wants me to
come in on 10/19 to check the pinging again.

I told him that I just want the PCM restored to factory condition, and
the spark plug wire reroute TSB performed (looking around online, it
appears to be TSB 18-48-98,
http://www.dodgeram.com/technical/tsb98/18_48_98/18_48_98_v8.htm ) . He
didn't seem to know jack about that spark plug wire deal, but said he'd
check into it. He said they can't do that. He said that the flash is
the "latest and greatest programming" and fixes the ping. I told him
that obviously it didn't work as advertised, so I want it removed. He
kept going back to "we can't do that, the factory says it's good to use,
there's no detrimental effects, so why would you want to remove it?"
Well, sorry Pete, the flash didn't work, you guys put it on without my
approval, I want it removed. I will find my own resolution to the
problem if you can't do it.

They also performed TSB 08-06-00, which is to check the belly pan/intake
manifold gasket for leakage (I cannot find the text online). No
leakage.

Hope ya'll have gotten this far.

Sooooooo...I think he's now scared because, unlike 95% of his clientele,
I've shown some knowledge of the issue (thanks DML!). Unfortunately,
I'm not much of a gearhead, so I'm quickly approaching the limit of my
knowledge. You guys know this stuff inside and out - arm me for battle,
please!

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- "We like AMD. The enemy of our enemy is our friend." --- Jonathan Schwartz Sun senior vice president -------------------------------------------------------------