Re: Antennae mounts and locations

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 17:43:40 EDT

> Thanks for the reply (In fact, for all the folks that have replied)
>
> One more question, I just returned the mag mount. The first time I hit a
> bump it came lose and it was the largest I could find ( 5" diameter)
>
> I am thinking about mounting it as Bernd described, on the bedrail.
> Actually, I am thinking about mounting on that vertical rail, drivers
side,
> that meets the tailgate at the rear of the bed. Anything I should be
> concerned about? 2/3 of the antenna will clear the bed if I mount it low,
> more as I move upwards. I was thinking that the lower I mount it the less
> wind resistance etc I have to worry about but I also understand that the
> more metal between the antenna and the rest of the world, the worse the
> reception.
>
> The only reason I am looking at that particular location is so I can still
> park in the garage without disconnecting the antenna every time. I ordered
> a Quick Disconnect anyway for the times it will interfere with a load.

Preacher,
I have a setup which I really like. You can see pics on it I believe on your
website :)
I originally had a magnetic mount from Radio Shack, and also tried their
'Dual 48" Fiberglass" setup, none of which I liked or had good reception. My
current setup consists of all Firestik products. Starting with the mount, I
am using an "Adjustable Stainless Steel Hood Channel Mount Mini-Kit, Model
SS-274A. I did have to drill 4 small small holes, all of which I sealed up
with silicon RTV and hasnt yet showed signs of rust or corrosion in 2+
years. So the antenna can flex, I bought a Firestik Stainless Steel Springs
Model SS-3H: Heavy Duty model. Since I use different length antennas at
different times, I wanted a fast way to swap them, so I bought 2
"Push-N-Twist" Quick Disconnects Model R-1A: External Locking setups. I
runs the Firestik II Model: FS2-B(2 Ft) Antenna on trails and such, but
switch to the Firestik II Model: FS4-B(4 Ft) Antenna on highways and when I
want to reach further out. Firestik does carry some pretty neat stake pocket
antenna mounts, but I think the GenIII Dakotas dont have stake pockets. Hope
this helps.
http://www.firestik.com/
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6