RE: Re: Need information on 4.7 Thermostat

From: Crit Bennett (crit@engineer.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 21:03:58 EDT

Jay,
  I know you were looking for Bernd, but I wanted to chime in. I don't
think you originally specified that you have a 4.7 the first time around.
Everything but the 4.7 is a drop-in affair, but the 4.7 has two main
differences so you have to modify the 'ol standby 54 mm thermostat.

1.) When you pull your t-stat, you'll notice a check ball on the flange
that's very small and is about 30 degrees from vertical on the flange face.
When you get the 180 t-stat, you'll need to drill a small hole, 1/32", to
replicate this check valve, though I used a 1/16" and it did just fine.

2.) The block and gasket are keyed such that the gasket can only be
installed in one direction. The gasket is also keyed with a little rubber
notch inside the groove so that the stock t-stat can only be inserted one
way relative to the gasket and block. This is just to keep the check valve
at the 30 degree position. I cut the block/gasket key off, rolled the
gasket inside-out, and cut the gasket/t-stat key out with a straight razor
blade. You can either do this, or notch the edge of the t-stat flange,
whatever floats your boat.

Those both having been done, just replace the t-stat per Bill's
instructions, making sure to keep the hole you drilled in the flange toward
the top of the block and with the spring and bulb oriented the right way.

Good luck with it, and it really is a piece of cake

Crit