Almost fell victim to "the curse"! (long)

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 03:40:34 EDT

Aiight,
the premag (and myself) almost met an early demise tonight =(
so I'm riding down US17. This road is 4 lanes (2 lanes each way for those
of you who don't speak proper English.. hehehe) and I'm headin' North in
the right lane. All of the sudden, the dude in front of me hits the
shoulder. I think WTF?!?! What do I see? HEADLIGHTS!!!! SOMEONE IS
DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!! What makes things worse?! He is
in MY lane because he is PASSING HIS BUDDY WHO IS ALSO ON THE WRONG SIDE
OF THE ROAD!!
So at this point I'm staring 4 headlights right in the face!!!!!!

<enter slow motion part>

Since the dude that WAS in front of me is on the shoulder, I can't go
there to get away. The median is a ditch, so that's ruled out due to my
lack of ride height. What happens next is an act of some kind of higher
power!!
I swerve left HARD (thankin' the higher powers for my altered ride height
and the handling it gave me). Now I see the other 2 headlights comin'
right at me. I go right REALLY HARD. The tires are rollin' over and
squealing, my buddy in the passenger seat is wide-eyed and braced for
some kind of impact. I squeeze through the 2 cars (at 55 mph btw) in what
seemed like 6" of space. It was probably a lot more, but when that kind
of thing happens it really seems like a lot less.
The rear of the truck gets a little squirelly, but it straightened up and
I just stopped right there in the road.... mostly in disbelief of what
just happened... shaking and pretty wigged out. We are all fine, the
premag is fine...
Lcukily all this happened at about 2AM, so there wasn't much traffic.

So, I flip around (get on the correct side of the road) and give chase.
I'm blastin' down 17 at 80+ trying to catch these guys while my buddy is
on the cellphone with 911. Come around the bend and there is an officer
already in pursuit. He caught one of them so I catch up to the other and
get his license plate number. Gave it to the cop, and went home to try to
sleep....but I couldn't... so now I'm posting to the DML at 3:40 AM...

<shiver>

damn ya'll... all I have to say is, I'm glad I'm here posting and not
laying somewhere bleeding... scary =(

-miggity

miggitymike@juno.com
PROJECT 13's ---> slammed 88 Dakota w/360 swap in progress!

http://surf.to/Project13s

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.