Re: Oil for 4x4 tranny and Diff.

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 16:55:01 EDT

> Hello all. I know some of you are serious 4WD folks. So has anybody
looked
> into what is best to do for the tranny and Differentials? While my truck
> only has about 5500 miles on it right now, I think the break in period is
> over.
>
> My idea was that after 3000 miles you change engine oil. Ok now what
about
> the transmission and differentials? The concept is still the same, it's
new
> it's probably got a small amount of metal flakes in the diff just like the
> engine. So it probably should be changed. I know it's a preventative
kind
> of changing, the fluid hasn't worn out.
>
> When I talked to the dealer they say, "Oh you never need to change that."
> But if it the whole truck wears out prematurely then they think (HA!) they
> can sell me a new truck. Yet they did mention that there are additives in
> the Diff and Tranny oil. Are there any that you guys recommend?

Scott,
I use Amsoil in both diffs, 75W90 and change it about every 1-1/2 years. I
am also use Amsoil ATF in the tcase. If you have the NP231 tcase in y our
Dak, it should call for 7176 ATF+3 or it says you can substitute DexronIII
if the ATF+3 isnt available. Trust me, if you want your tcase and your 4WD
system to work, use the ATF+3 7176 compatible fluid. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
isnt ATF+3 approved.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6