Re: Spark plug gap Q

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 10:26:06 EDT

At 07:35 PM 10/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>DON'T SHOOT! (This question has been asked a billion times) For some reason
>the archives are running really slow tonight) What gap should I use for my
>spiffy new Autolites (3923)? I want power versus fuel economy. I have a 2000
>w the 3.9L.

Go by the recommended gap in the owner's manual. For my 5.2L, that's 0.040.
Drive it for awhile and see if driveability is satisfactory. The 0.005 above
for economy and below for performance are guidelines, meaning use them for
experimentation and adjust accordingly after a drive for evaluation period.
I run 0.035 for performance on my stock ignition system and it worked out
for me.

>Finally, which side of washers, supplied with plugs, faces
>toward the engine? Fermin Lizalde Jr.

I use the larger side towards the engine cyclinder and it works alright
for me.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95