Consumer Reports Issue

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 21:26:56 EDT

Ok, we all know from experience that no two engines run alike. Nor does the
same motor run the same day after day. A change in temp of 10 degrees can
make a big difference. The air where they tested could have been less humid
at the time to test the Dakota. That would also make a difference. If
humidity doesn't matter, then what is the deal with water injection on
ulta-high performance motors. And I am not talking about dumping a 5 gallon
bucket down the intake, but an ultra fine mist of minute proportions is used,
and it actually raises horsepower, by cooling the air and making the a/f
mixture richer. My 96 Dakota is not the fastest there is around here, but I
still love it. I had a 96 Acura Integra that was "riced" out and it would
walk all over my Dakota. I had the Integra tuned down to an 11.8 1/4.
Granted it was turboed, head work, cams, cam gears, etc.... A friend of mine
has a 4.0 Ranger that is moded, and some days I beat him, other days he beats
me. Depends on whose truck has the least junk (yes Junk, should see behind
my seats right now) and whose is running better that day. Stock for Stock,
look at the power ratings of the motors, the Vortec has more hp and a little
more tq, the 4.0 is about like the 3.9, then look at the weight difference.
Sure, with my NOS hooked up, I can run with Z-28s, 5.slows, and even the
occasional cobra. Today I even beat a 4.3L S-10 extreme and also ran a
Lightning. Granted I sprayed the heck out of it against the Lightning, but I
never touched the spray on the extreme(ly slow) S-10. But, I also got
stomped by a Dodge Ram 4x4 5.2, fully stock (I know the girl that owns it).
And yes, even with my mods, off the line (w/slushbox) is takes off like a
slug with salt on its tail. Just remember, if they want to get technical,
lets load about 5,000 pounds on a trailer and hook one up on each truck and
then lets run! I say the Dodge tq would win. Anyway, the soap box is
getting slippery, let me get down now.

p.s. : I don't want to start any flames, just telling about my personal
experiences.

Will
96 Cylidrically Challenged V-6