Re: Spark plug gap Q-How works?

From: Jack Paulson (cybermail1@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 02:49:09 EDT

Thanks very much for the info - I think I'll stay with
the recommended gap.
--- Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:
> Hi, Jack.
>
> At 07:56 PM 10/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >This is the first time I heard about this for
> trucks
> >without MSD etc.
> >How/Why does the .045 get better mileage or
> >How/Why does the .035 get better performace?
> >I just want to understand the engineering.
>
> This is my understanding.
>
> As the ignition is triggered (and sends the spark
> through the rotor,
> to the cap, down the wire and then it jumps the gap
> of the spark plug),
> a spark kernel is created that ignites the air/fuel
> mixture in the
> combustion chamber. How well this is done is a
> combination of proper
> timing of this spark, proper heat range of the plug
> as well as the correct
> gap.
>
> On stock or aged ignitions, opening up the gap 'CAN'
> increase the spark kernel
> size, thereby creating a more efficient burn which,
> in turn, 'CAN' mean better
> mileage. The problem lies in that any added gap
> creates more strain on the
> other
> ignition parts.
>
> On stock ignitions, cylinder pressures at high rpms
> require more energy
> to jump the spark plug gap. Smaller spark plug gaps
> 'CAN' help to accomplish
> this. The problem, in this case, lies in that too
> small a gap 'CAN' create
> misfire or fouling.
>
> Hope this helps.

=====
2000 Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 Automatic Sports Plus Package
31X10.5 tires Limited Slip 3.55 Trailer Tow Group
HD Package Skid Plates Added:Airaid air filter,Flowmaster 3 chamber,
Steel Horse Torneau cover, Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs,
Removed air horns from Throttle Boddy, added new TB bolts,
Cool Tape around air filter and A/C tubes-Smyrna, Georgia