180 Thermostat & 4.7L

From: James Brown (f1jim@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 19:08:14 EDT

I finally got around to putting in that 180 thermostat
in my '00 4.7 Club cab. After a relatively easy time
removing the 2 8mm bolts on the housing, and leaving
the hose attached, it all came out smoothly. As was
posted earlier, you have to notch the thermostat to
accomodate a "bump in the inner groove of the gasket.
Also i drilled a small hole in the thermostat itself
in a spot corresponding to the check ball hole in the
old gasket. It all went back smoothly and I topped
off the fluid and threw in a bottle of RedLine water
wetter and warmed her up. It felt more powerful in
all respects after warm up. Tried to be as objective
as my seat of the pants driving would allow. Just
felt like someone gave me about 10 horsepower!!!
Drove it this morning and this afternoon and now I am
thoroughly convinced it 's the real deal!!! Just do
it!!!
JB