Re: RE: ABS looooong po'boy intake installed on 4.7 - wow!

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 00:40:43 EDT

Right. I believe the air hat is a de-tuning device to reduce noise (read
resonance).
I don't think any statically shaped intake on an RPM varying machine is going
to be all one way to the other 'good' or 'bad'. Also I think there are
non-resonant based positives to a longer intake that are not frequency based at
all; simply that fact that a longer/larger moving column of air provides more
inertia to there is overall more pressure at the intake valves.
Bose concept is not anywhere near the same as Helmholz concept. Bose concept
is based more on odd harmonics I believe and 1/2, 1/4, 1/8... wave lower
harmonics of those odd harmonics or something like that. Helmholz is a single
frequency resonant device. The Bose concept somehow gets a smaller tube to
resonate over a wide range of frequencies lower than normal, not just a single
lower frequency. But I am far from an expert and, like you, are more wondering
than knowing.
Thanks for the input.