Re: dakota club cab 4x4 rt with a 5speed?

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 18:40:38 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/2000 3:10:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
therrin@isaac.net writes:

it's easy terry. i've owned a 5.2 in stock format and i've owned a 5.2 with
a 3 inch gibson sigle side exit. i've also oned a 4.7 in stock format and
again with a 3 inch gibson cat back. so i am very familiar with the sounds
of the 4.7 and the 5.2 in both stock and modified forms. as well an employee
next to my work has a jeep grand cherokee limited with the 5.9 and i could
tell he had a 5.9 in it the moment i first heard it. they sound very
distinctly different. the 5.9 has a deeper throatier rumble than the 5.2 and
the 4.7. as well as i mentioned in my post i crawled under the truck and
looked at the exhaust system and it was factory exhaust but larger than the
factory exhaust on either my 4.7 or 5.2?
so what i am saying is it is quite easy for me to distinguish the sounds of
different engines with different exhausts because i have had different
engines with different exhausts. as well exhaust sounds change if you change
the intake system(more air out adds a slight woosh). if you just open your
ears and listen you can tell the difference because all engines sound
different. and if you really pay attention you can tell the difference in
sound from the same block with different mods. ever heard the sound out of a
5.0 mustang and just knew you shouldn't even bother trying to race it. how
about the sound of a blown 5.9? can you tell the sound of that on a launch?
i can.
derek

<< As for determining it was a 5.9 by listening to the
 exhaust, with all the different exhaust modifications that can be
 done, I don't see how anyone could distinguish between a 5.2 and a 5.9
 just by listening.