Re: Xfer Case Skid Plate-ATTN KYLE

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 19:50:13 EDT

> Kyle, you have any pics of the Gen II Xfer case skid plate installed? I
> picked one up from the dealer this week and for the life of me I can't
figure
> out how it bolts in...I think they might have given me the wrong one
> perhaps...?

Dave,
My truck's tcase skid plate bolts to the frame crossmember infront of the
tcase using two bolts and it also bolts to the frame crossmember running
behind the tcase also using two bolts. Both front and rear frame
crossmembers/braces already had the holes in them from the factory. I once
tried to bolt down the front 2 holes/bolts first and them move to the back,
but the holes wouldnt line up. You have to keep all 4 corners loose, the
tcase allows for that much play, so all 4 holes can be lined up. I usually
use a floor jack and line up the front holes first and just spin the nuts on
the bolts rather loosely and then line up the rear holes and bolt them on;
then proceed to tighten them all down. Sorry but I currently have no pics of
the tcase. I hope this has helped you out some. Not sure if the tcase design
matters for 5speed compared to my auto tranny, but based on below
auto/manual doesnt matter. I would call a dealer, a different one than where
you bought the tcase plate at, just to double check. Wait a minute.....I
have these part numbers!! Here they are:
*1987-1996 Front Axle Skid Plate; Part #4412114; Cost $118
*1987-1993 Transfer Case Skid Plate; Part #4412171; Cost $52
*1994-1996 Transfer Case Skid Plate; Part #52058070; Cost $37
*1987-1996 Fuel Tank Skid Plate; Part #4279781; Cost $225
Do these make sense and match what part numbers you have Dave?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6