Re: gear ratios & acceleration

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 15:04:07 EDT

Hmmmm. Dial indicators. I've used one before (in college) and
I was not the most proficient dial indicatoree hehe. I hate
shelling out the big bucks to have someone else do the work for
me, but I also don't want to delve into this if I don't know what
I'm doing. I read over the guidelines on the motivegear website,
and it looks like I'd be in over my head on this one. Looks like
the next step for me is to call around and find out the damage if
I have a shop do this.

Unfortunately I don't have a tach, so I don't know offhand how
many R's per M my engine turns at highway speeds, but I know it's
a nice smooth low rpm. This of course will be sacrificed with a
ratio upgrade. I'll want to take this into consideration since
I do a lot of highway driving to/from work. This makes me lean
towards 3.55's, but the 3.90's would obviously be more bang for
the buck. I think that my main concern is not fuel mileage, but
more along the lines of engine mileage.

ahhh, decisions decisions.

Kevin D.