Re: DML:Hello/2.5 trans &diff Questions

From: dennis (spoolboy@autospeed.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 22:47:08 EDT

--- steve318@webtv.net (Steve Preston)
> wrote:
>Dennis,I know that towing is not recommended on a turbo vehicle,at least
>not a 2.2/2.5 motor.

I've had this argument before on other mailing lists....if you set it up correctly, it can be done. It is a moot point because because the heaviest thing it will ever haul is an engine/trans combo from the j-yard, to my house, to the machine shop, and back again(hopefully not to the j-yard).

Therefore having that application in a truck may not
>be a good thing.

They put them in Caravans from the factory in 89-90. Vans weigh well over 3000lbs. I don't know the GVWR or towing capacity.

I know that these motors can be built for an excess of
>300 horsepower,but that`s also for a k-car pulling its own weight.

So you've seen Gary Donovan's 10sec FWD K-car? ;)

Daks
>weigh at least 1000 lbs. more than the cars that used that turbo
>application also.

But not 1000lbs heavier than a Caravan. My Dak is the el-strippo version with no air, no front sway bar, no 4x4(of course), short bed, regular cab, etc. It is heavier, but not excessively. Probably still considerably heavier than a Caravan, but I'd guess by ~300lbs, not 1000lbs.

I guess what I`m trying to get at is this: The turbo is
>good for horsepower,but creates higher stress in the motor,compounded by
>the fact that this combo was designed for a light car.

I see guys towing with Vortechs, Powerdynes and Paxtons. What's the difference?

Turbos make TORQUE! and Horsepower. Most properly set-up street styled turbo systems have very broad torque curves.

If you plan to
>never "use" the truck,then using a car turbo setup would probably be
>OK.

It won't be just a car setup. I will modify it for increased cooling capacity(it already cools better than a car) and won't run crazy boost(less than 20psi) or do stupid things with it that will provoke high engine heat or detonation. I'm not new to turbocars.
I wouldn't want to have to warranty one of these with an average consumer driving it, but I am not scared of it.

On the other hand,it would be an interesting thing to do to a
>Dak.

Very much so I beleive.

It`d be unique.I`d like to see a nice Magnum 340 Dak,myself.

There is already one(at least) out there. It was a blue club cab, 5spd, early 2nd gen(92-93ish). It was in Mopar Muscle or something a couple years ago. Getting the crank sensor to work with the old style block and flywheel was a real PITA from what the guy said. He did the usual stuff to swap the magnum heads onto the old block and used the stock manifold with a larger TB and headers.

Anyone got a big block chrysler in a Dak that is streetable?(not full race)

A 400cid twin j-yard turboed Dak would be the stuff!

Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider my project......Nahhh.

==
Dennis Doza II

AutoSpeed - The World's Best High Performance Online Magazine
http://www.autospeed.com