Re: 1998 Dakota Rear Axle Bearing Noise...............

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 03:53:16 EDT

I was having a problem with my '95 carrier bearing making noise. My buddy
Phil (owner of a Midas muffler) put it on the lift to replace the bearing and
noticed that the frame crossmember that the bearing is mounted to had one
bolt that was loose and another that was completely missing. The entire
crossmember was being hel by two bolts causing it to move up and down when
the load shifted from acceleration to deceleration or vice versa. He put in 2
new bolts and the noise is almost completely gone. I think there may be some
slight damage to the bearing but Phil also pointed out that my forward drive
shaft was out of phase (not going straight from the tranny to the carrier
bearing but at a slight angle) it also explained why my tranny mount went and
why I had to have someone force the tail end of the tranny towards the
passanger side in order to get a new mount on. Now I have to figure out what
is causing the drive shaft to be out of phase, I think its an -engine mount
to frame-- bracket that another mechanic noticed was cracked (when he was
replacing the motor mounts I destroyed) and welded for me, I think it was
welded slighly out of position causing the whole drivetrain to get out of
whack.

Anyway, don't know if thats your prob but who knows

JOHN