RE: Computer power

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 13:02:11 EDT

You're not buying a "chip" per se. If you're talking about Jet or
Hypertech, these devices trick the real PCM into reacting by simulating a
condition that causes the reaction. If you're talking about the PCM itself,
it does contain a chip but that chip is like your Pentium chip. It doesn't
get changed because you have different programs that run on it. You alter
the logic and/or tables thereby causing different reactions to occur to
different stimuli. You can buy a generic high performance PCM that advances
the timing further thereby increasing your performance if one is made for
your specific vehicle and powertrain combination. You can send your PCM to
the people that do programming on the PCM's and have it custom-programmed to
your specifications or programmed to react to your specific modifications.

On the newest vehicles timing is PCM-controlled. The distributor is
basically set at zero degrees timing. It's rotation is used to send the
spark from the coil to the correct plug based on the firing order. The
other thing the distributor does is it causes the injectors to dispense fuel
to your cylinders. If you move your distributor you disturb the timing of
the injectors to dispense the fuel to the cylinders.

There isn't that much computer there yet but it's coming rapidly. MS has
introduced a new Windows CE that will soon interface with the engine PCM.
That may enable performance enthusiasts to be able to change certain
performance criteria at will. The entire electrical system is heading for
some major changes in the next few years. the standardization will be 42
volts because this is much more efficient for most components. With the
advent of electric engines or hybrids this will be required. In ten years,
another major revolution will have passed us and those that understand the
principles behind the engine today will have to learn new theories and
concepts to understand the engine of the future.

IMHO, I think fossil-fueled engines are going to be short-lived. Technology
and the demands of our civilizations will tell OPEC and other fossil-fuel
producing nations to stick it. That is just around the corner. Let them
raise the fuel prices a little bit more and watch the revolution unfold.

Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile