Re: v6 or v8

From: Aurelio Lopez (alopez7458@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 19:10:06 EDT

Brent Barts wrote:

> Jeff,
> In the short time that i have had my 2001 Dakota i have heard very bad
> things about the 3.9 liter V6. I have the 4.7 in mine and love it. The
> only thing i don't like is the crappy gas milage-so far about 15mpg all
> around driving.
> I have even heard that the v6 gets worse gas milage(at times)then the v8.
> Plus i think the v8 will be more dependable then the old v6-agian from what
> i've read.
> The 4.7 liter will out run the larger-more powerful engine Dodge offers in
> their Quad cab and gets better gas milage. About the only other thing that
> i've noticed is that my 4.7 seems to idle a little ruff at times.
> Good luck
> Brent

I don't want to start a flame-fest here, but I can't let go the trashing of the
3.9L V6. I'm not sure what "very bad things" you heard about the 3.9L-V6 or
from where but I can assure you they're false. Yes the 3.9L is a more
economical engine as opposed to the 4.7L being a more powerful one. You can't
compare the two engines, you might as well be comparing oranges to limes.

I chose the 3.9L as my engine because to me fuel economy and cost were more
important then the extra HP of the 4.7L. Others might feel differently, this is
just my opinion. Currently I am averaging 19-20 mpg's in a combination city and
hwy. driving. Did I get this mileage when I first bought the truck? No I
didn't. The gained fuel economy I achieved from tips provided by the DML ( FABM
- 3923's - 180 t-stat - 89 Octane ). I don't regret the decision to have
selected the 3.9L since fuel economy is still more important then the added HP
of the 4.7L. I don't go off-roading, I don't race, I rarely speed. The 3.9L has
the power and economy I was looking for. Is the 4.7L a more powerful engine?
Yes it is. Does it get worse mpg's as compared to the 3.9L? Yes it does.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

Aurelio

--
'00 QC Sport Plus
Intense Blue Pearlcoat