Thank you Bernd! WAS: Mopar Performance Timing Chain

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 09:28:45 EDT

Thank you Bernd! You have perfect timing (no pun intended) for posting on
this subject. I got my new motor in and everything, but when I ran it, it ran
horrible, and was firing unused fuel out of the tailpipe! From your email I
decided to check my timing, even though I was positive I didn't move anything
when I did the timing chain swap.
    So I get everything and long a behold, it wasn't my fault! Turns out the
idiot engine rebuilder put the timing chain on 180 degrees out of wack (both
timing marks were facing up). So the injectors were firing on the power
stroke instead of the intake stroke, and the exhaust stroke was firing raw
fuel out of the engine (I shoulda figured this out on my own now that I think
of it). I can't believe the thing ran at all (testimonial to the reliability
of Magnum engines?). And of course in my boneheadedness I didn't check the
timing marks when I changed to the double roller, I just "assumed" the
rebuilder did it correctly. At any rate, I used the stock (unused and
unstretched) timing chain to reset the camshaft. Because it was so far out of
wack, I had valve/piston interference when I turned it 90 degrees, so I ended
up having to pull the valve covers and loosen all the roller rockers. Got
everything done correctly and readjusted all the RR's just in time to listen
to the Met's triumphant (but one run short) rally in the 9th. I realigned the
distributor which was now 180 degrees out as well, and finished putting the
truck together. Nice to know you can't even rely on the professionals.
    On another note, I decided to check out the timing chain on the V6 just
to see how much these stock chains really do stretch. With 84K on the stock
timing chain, it had about 1/2" slack in it. This was the "shake it around
with your fingers" test, not the test they actually recommend in the service
manual so it may be within spec. Scary stuff.

Austin
Vipertruck