Tire failure modes Tires cracking between tread blocks

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 17:06:27 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/00 1:07:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tigers@bserv.com writes:

> The only time that I've cracks developing in the valleys are
> tires which have not been in use for years ... tire compound hardens
> up and dries out.

That's partially true, I did an engineering report a little over a year ago
on failure modes of a tire, there are actually very few: Impact puncture,
delamination failure (firestone) [caused either by heat build up from over
engineering {poor vulcanizing process}], main body cord separation, and
mechanical wear (just plain worn out). In the course of my research I
learned some interesting things. One, tires actually benefit from being
driven on, they seep out oils and waxed that fend off dry rotting and Ozone
damage as the sidewall goes thru it's loading-unloading cycles. Certain
chemicals can actually prevent this from happening, Armorall is one of them,
a tire actually becomes dependent on armorall. A tire can be stored
indefinitely without damage if it is stored properly, it must be stored in an
area free of excessive humidity or temperature extremes, also it must be kept
away from electric motors, they emit an ozone gas as they operate which
decomposes the tire, tires also need to be kept out of direct sunlight, they
should be stacked on edge not on the tread, barrel stacked if you will.
Anywho, speaking of engineering I have a lab to be at in 45 min, so I must be
going. Just thought I'd share.

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, A-518 / 46RE 3.55 geared Peg
Leg 8 1/4, 31 10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa
Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!