V6 vs. 4.7L, insurance, et al.

From: Woodruff, Jason P (Jason.Woodruff@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 18:55:54 EDT

Hey guys I'm a little behind reading the digest mode so I'm wrapping up
several responses in one message.

        Why would anyone want a V6, didn't you read Consumer Reports (chill
out guys this is a joke).

        My 4.7L auto w/3.55 gears gets around 17-18 mpg, bone stock still.
My worst tank was 16.5mpg, when it was brand new and I had to impress my
friends. My best tank was just over 18mpg, this was about 300 highway + 50
city miles and two g-tech 1/4mi runs. The truck is just breaking in (3k mi)
and the mpg are going up.

        Insurance on this vehicle is $390/6mo from Century 21 for great
coverage, I can't remember how much right now but as long as I don't take
out that overpriced Mustang I'll be OK. I live in high priced Orange
County, Ca and I'm newly 23, but I get a good driver discount and a geek
discount, aka engineer discount(we're a lively bunch).

        Norah, happy B-day and I hope your cat gets better. I have a one
and a half ear-ed, no tailed, cross-eyed cat that I saved from a coyote last
year and wouldn't trade for an R/T.

        Bernd, a "Limited Edition - Adult Collectible"? Come on your
begging for Dirty jokes!

        My two cents about recalled firestone tires. I'd be willing to bet
most of the failures we see on TV are cause mainly by underinflation and
overloading. So I'd say the blame should be shared by Ford for making roll
over SUV's, Firestone for making less than perfect tires, and yuppies who
buy them for not maintaining their rubber. This combination is what makes
them dangerous.

Jay W

4.7L Auto Sport+ C.C. 2wd Black
Mods
Appearance: Grill inserts, clear corner lenses, Aiwa MP3 Player
Performance: Removed rubber flap, Appointment w/Hotchkis