V6 mods update - attn Alex Harris

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 12:38:33 EDT

Hey Alex - what's the status on your latest mods - last
I heard, you were getting ready to install the MSD 6A
and some exhaust stuff, yes?

Keep us updated - your truck is my guinea pig ;) since yours
is the same base as mine (V6 5sp 3.21). Btw, I re-did my
homebrew k&n cold air intake. Originally, it was similar
to the QuickD setup, with one 45 degree angle and a straight
tube over to the fender area. Since then, I've re-routed
it and it is now similar to yours - using 2 45's and a
straight tube to locate the k&n cone down next to the
radiator. I don't know if this is what made the difference,
but it seems to run considerably better now. It was breathing
in lots of hot air in the fender location, but I think it's
now getting a good charge of cooler air from the grille. I
also took the stock air-hat bolt bracket off the TB and installed
an S-bolt, in hopes of getting a little more airflow.

I did notice a slight loss in low-end torque - I re-installed
the stock air system to test this, and it was noticeably better
w/ stock. However, up at higher rpm's, the k&n cold air does
a much better job. Sounds cool, too, when it starts howling :)
Upgrading my gear ratio should eliminate my low-end woes.

Anyways, keep us posted...

- Kevin D.
97 cc V6 5sp, 3.21, 3923's, 180tstat, homebrew K&N