Magnum Engines...attn Bernd......AND all you 5.9 owners wondering about the 46RE

From: Casey Aldridge (caldridge@uswest.net)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 02:22:29 EST

First part of post:
I have the same setup that Bernd does..(actually had it first....hehehe)
but i have the 42RE and seems to be able to handle the power ok...the only
thing i dont like is that it cant shift fast enough for me. Blower makes
the
truck tach up really quick. I abuse the crap outta that tranny too...I take
her
through boost at least 2 times a day and big ole smokey power braking antics
every
once in a while. I have the TV cable on the back of the TB adjusted all the
way past
factory settings (there are teeth on the cable...mine is past the teeth and
the little
clip holds it in place). This makes the truck shift around 2k from 1st to
2nd and about
2500k from 2-3.
2nd part:
All you guys out there wondering about this shift thingy you are feeling,
listen up.
As with all Dodge auto slush boxes....anything with a ##RE is going to be a
4spd auto,
(with the exception of the 45RE which can only be mated to the 4.7, has two
2nd gear ratios
1 for upshifts and 1 for downshifts). When you folks are tooling around in
3rd (OD locked out)
and you "feel" if shift...this is actually the torque converter locking
up...meaning the tranny
is turning at the same rpm as the engine(this is a good thing...less heat in
the tranny). If you
were to step down on the throttle enough you might "feel" a downshift and a
slight increase in engine
rpm...this is the torque converter unlocking. These auto's have a lockup TC
in 3rd and 4th (OD),
so you will notice this "feeling" in OD too, it works the same way as it
does in 3rd.