Helping Gas Mileage Improve

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 20:43:48 EST

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to do to my Dak to help the gas
mileage improve? Lately it has been horrid. Would incorrect timing cause
poor mileage? Would I be able to 'notice' incorrect timing, by rough idle or
anything? Would a severely loose timing chain cause poor gas mileage? I am
really leaning towards the whole timing chain/sprocket deal for the
cause/fix of the gas mileage problem, just not 100% what to do first. I know
my Dak's engine has some miles on it, 131,000.......so I know older engines
aren't efficient as they once were; but I need to improve this mpg thing or
do something drastic, seriously. Here is what I have listed in my
maintenance records:
-New plugs, dist. cap, rotor 5,000 miles ago(change these every 10K)
-Fuel Filter only has 13,000 on it(I change mine every 15K)
-I run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through every other fillup
-I have synthetic fluids everywhere
-Running a full aftermarket ignition
-K&N cone air filter has been on for 4,000 miles
-MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Wires are 3 years old
What can I do!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6