8 3/4 swap was Re: Re: Blew up my differential, need advice

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 02:29:07 EST

In a message dated 10/30/00 10:28:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jon@fast4x4.net writes:

> Luke, keep us updated... I'm very interested in making a stronger rearend
> _______________________
> Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
> jon@fast4x4.net
> www.fast4x4.net
> '95 Dakota 4x4 318 CC auto

Will do guys, it's all most all assembeled, 10 x 2 1/2" brakes new Wagner
shoes rivited, new drums, 7/8" wheel cylinders new of course, all new hold
down and adjusting parts, new Mopar wheel cylinder pushrods, all new BCA
bearings and seals (division of Federal Mogul) 3.55 Mopar geared 489 case (1
7/8" pinion shaft) pinion crush sleeve eleminator, Moser engineering 6 lug
custom alloy axles with 1/2" studs and a Detroit locker. I just have to find
a 7290 yoke so I don't need a conversion joint, fabricate shock mounts to
weld to the axle, and weld on my Mopar Performance spring pads. I'll no
longer have RWAL (thank god) and I won't be reconnecting the parking brake
until I find the parts I need to fix the ratchet/release mechanisim in the
truck and the parts to hook it up inside my new brakes. The reason to go
through all this trouble you ask? First and foremost I HATE C-clip axles
with a passion. Secondly the 8 3/4 is a cool axle and it's strong. Third, I
wanted a Sure Grip / Locker but didn't want to have to worry about breaking
the PUNY 8 1/4" shafts. I scored the housing, backing plates and E-body
axles with new bearings and seals for $50 at this year's C@C ( ACN ) the
Moser axles I got a DEAL on for $170, I redrilled new drums ( $20 each my
cost at work ) traded a brake job on a Dodge van for the 489 3rd member that
is open w/3.55 gears $40 in new 3rd member bearings and pinion seal, the
brake job cost me about $30 in parts all the new brake shoes parts etc were
about $90, spring pads $11, axle gaskets $15, Por15 paint $20, Mobil One
Synthetic grease for the outer axle bearings (not lubricared by gear lube,
cavity is packed with grease) $6.00, Detroit Locker $400, Crush sleeve
eleminator $30 for a grand total of $902. Main reason, probably just to say
I did it.

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, A-518 / 46RE 3.55 geared Peg
Leg 8 1/4, 31 10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa
Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!