Re: New member introduction/basic ???'s

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 01:44:41 EST

George,welcome to the DML! I hope you are enjoying your new dakota! I have
one that is similar. On your questions,MY truck with the 3.92 gear is rated
at 6700 lbs towing capacity, but since you have the 3.55 gear,you should be
right at 6000 lbs.These figures are written by lawyers,and are
conservative.I towed one of my tractors and a 14-ft hay rake on a trailer
that I built, and it had to weigh every bit of 6500 lbs, probably more.I
only hauled it 15 miles or so to the other feild because the dually was
down, but it did real well.Only thing that gave me any problems was the
temperature, it liked to wander up around 210 when I was going slow in the
field.I think my truck would handle a 8500 lb trailer,although at that
weight I would prefer it to be gooseneck.Is your car hauler a conventional
or gooseneck hitch? I had a class 3 hitch on my truck, but I sold it because
I wasn't using it it was in the way in my garage.I got my hidden hitch from
JC whitney,it was the style that tucks up under the bumper all except for
the reciever tube itself.Very clean installation.As for the racing of it, I
don't do it and probably never will.Check the archives for the past few days
to find out how I treat my truck. I don't think you should do a dual-purpose
with the truck.Use the truck for truck stuff(towing your stuff) and race
your camaro! As for showroom stock 1/4's with the 3.55 gear,you would
probably be tickled with a 14.9 or 15.0.You didn't mention if you had the
trak-lok option? I have a drop-in k&n filter and a 2 chamber flowmaster
custom exhaust.These are nice,and helped the mileage,but the exhaust moved
my low-end torque up about 300 rpm's before it starts to come on.A problem
I'm still trying to cure.If you have anymore questions,4.7L specific or not,
feel free to mail me personally.I have done a lot of research on the 4.7L
and am continuing to learn.Hopefully, real soon, I will be picking up a 4.7L
out of a wreck and tearing into it to see what I can do.I am currently
working on a 'vette and when I get these heads done for it, I will put it
back together and be on my 4.7L project.Thanks,and welcome,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92Trak-lok(9.25")
forest green sport plus/mods:upper&lower speed grille,clear corner lenses
w/clear bulbs,empire billet 3rd brake light cover&antenna,APC white face
gauges,Magnum R/T windsheild banner,checkmate flush fiberglass
tonneau,carpeted bed,2-chamber flow w/dual 3" dumps,lowered 2" in rear,R/T
fender flares,chromed interior a/c vents,side windows tinted to 5%,back
glass to 2.5% with chrome ram head decal,pwr tailgate lock,K&N drop-in/ 1ST
place Dakota-truck at 11th annual Houston Mopar show and race/National DML
meet!!