Re: aftermarket tachs

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 15:24:57 EST

At 02:33 PM 11/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
> <snip>
>What does it take to install an aftermarket tach? I've seen
>lots of tachs available on various websites, and none of them
>seem to mention anything about installation. Do these things
>determine engine speed based on a signal from the distributor?
>Or from the tranny? The computer? Fill me in here - I'd like
>to have a tach, but my truck doesn't have one (although it is
>a 5sp - go figure...). This isn't for strip use or anything,
>I just want a plain ol' tach. -Kevin D.

Kevin

The tach. signal input is from the -ive connector of the coil.
You will also need to tap into a 'live' power source to run the tach
and a power source (e.g. headlight) for the tach's backlight.

I run an aftermarket tach. and rely solely on it whenever I use
the '96 MP PCM on my '97 Dak (with the '96 MP PCM, my dash gauges
are not functional).

Hope this helps.

Bob. Burlington, Ont., Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rw torque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95