Re: Tuned Up My Dak V6(long)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 11:05:34 EST

> Well two nights ago I finally tuned up my truck. I checked the plugs,
> wiring, distributor cap and rotor (all were like new), I thoroughly
> cleaned my TB and what I could reach of the intake, changed all filters,
> and packed all bearings with grease. I also changed the oil,
> antifreeze, and timing belt.
>
> Man, can you feel the difference!!! The timing chain had 1/2" slack in
> it and she runs a lot quieter now. Idles consistently again too. Even
> got a little bit of power back too, but part of that credit probably
> goes to cleaning the spark plugs, tb, and intake.
>
> At 190,000 miles, my truck still needs some work. I performed dry/wet
> compression test trying to figure out why I'm burning so much oil.
> She's still smoking so much I the emissions people won't even test it.
> All the numbers came back acceptable though. If anyone has any ideas on
> other thing to check, please let me know...
>
> Now that I don't have to listen to the timing chain rattling, I can hear
> what is definitely, rattling from the heads (like really loud pinging).
> I have't looked at anything, but I figure a rebuild would probably
> help. I'm gonna be installing a mod-V8 tb and the intake mods for the
> V6, but what can I do to the heads. Does anyone make a different cam
> for the V6? Would there be any benefits in upgrading lifters? And what
> does it mean to port a head???

Mike,
Good to know the Dak is running good again. Sunday is going to be my day
with the Dak. I am going to replace the dist. cap, dist. rotor, spark plugs,
fuel filter, pcv valve, and do a thorough cleaning on my QuickD TB with
Gumout's Throttle Body and Intake cleaner. I know without a doubt I need a
new timing chain/sprockets, but just dont have the time right now. I
actually think I am going buy all the parts and just have a shop do it. Not
sure yet though. Was that 1/2" slack on the stock 190K timing chain?
Mine has 131,500 on it now, with the stock timing chain. Thanks.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6