How to tell if your Belly-Pan Gasket is blown....or...How your truck can scare the poop out of you.

From: Jack Hilton (hemi@charter.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 13:42:28 EST

OK, My truck seriously scared the crap outta me yesterday.

Allow me to set this up:

I changed the oil at about 14200, and the truck now has about 16200 on
it. It's a 99 RC SY R/T.
About a week ago, I noticed that on my way to work, it started pinging
like a mutha at WOT, but I figured I just got some bad gas.
Yesterday, I drove to Atlanta (about 30 miles) and was late, so I was
runnin about 90 or so. I met some friends for lunch at Taco Mac, and
when I came out to leave and start the truck, I nice large puff of blue
smoke exited the tail-pipe. After I crapped in my pants, I drove
straight to a gas station, raised the hood to check the oil, and IT
ISN'T EVEN TOUCHING THE FREAKING STICK!! After messing myself again, I
bought three quarts. STILL NOT FULL! I buy one more, and end up having
to add 3.5 quarts to get it back to full!! This means that it only had
1.5 in it!! I then drove to Turner Field and all the way there I stared
at the tailpipe in the mirror and when I would go to WOT, I saw lots of
nice blue and black smoke. By this time I was having a damn coniption
right there, and I smoked about two packs of ciggs in 3 hours. Funny
thing about this was that even with 1.5 quarts of oil, the temp NEVER
went even near hot, never even moved, and the oil pressure stayed where
it always does, which s at about 60-70 at cruise, and about 40 at
idle.Thank you Jesus for Mobil 1 !!
So anyway, I get home and I am crawling all over it. I hear no ticking
or knocking, but fearling the worste, I am sure that a ring was cracked
or something and it was blowing oil. Hell I could *see* it was blowing
oil!
Anyway, I thought about the belly-pan and took off the air cleaner,
gazed down the beast's throat with a light, and wouldn't you know there
was a nice pool of oil in the intake. I mean, this wasn't a slight leak,
it was gushing. Apparently, this was causing my pinging, as well as the
RAPID consumption of oil. Speaking of which, I knew taht TSB mentions
that it can cause higher than normal oil consumption, but DAYUM.....3.5
quarts in a week?!?!?!
Anyway, the truck will be at Landmark Dodge this Saturday for the
Belly-Pan fix, as well as the SparkPlug Re-Route. I told my guy there
(Paul-Really helpful) that I did *NOT* want the PCM flashed as the truck
did not ping before and I knew it would retard the timing. At first he
said that it had to be, then checked and said that it would not have to
be.

You guys just don't know how wacked-out I was when I checked that oil
and then saw it start blowing it!!

JAck