RE: RE: RE: Cat Back Bull**** run-around!!!

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 20:33:20 EST

Andy --

If you have a friend who can weld that would probably work just fine, if you
trust him. Remember, it's an exhaust so you don't have to worry about
looks -- to check for leaks hold your (gloved) hand over the tailpipe with
the engine running and check the welds.

But you should really be able to find a muffler shop who can take care of
it... I usually look for a neighborhood "old man" kind of place instead of
going to the big chains when I need stuff done. I found a corner shop to
weld in my Flowmaster and an extension for $40... no appointment necessary!
I think they priced something like $30 to cut in the new muffler plus $10
for each extra weld (the extension). On a bigger project you might be able
to haggle a bit.

If I were looking at a more complicated project like fabbing up my own
duals, with lots of welds and stuff, I know a couple of weird
seat-of-the-pants welding shops (from when I owned the furniture/fixture
design biz) who would probably help me with it cheap. You can find a lot of
neat places by touring the potholed back roads of your industrial areas! But
if you get one of the premanufactured kits, there shouldn't be that much
work involved.

Sorry if I missed anything, I didn't see the first couple of posts in the
thread...

- Alex