Fixed a nagging problem - Blower and MAP

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 22:01:51 EST

Hehehehe...

First off, thank you to Bruce Bridges for listening to my theory and giving
me some other suggestions to try!!

Now, here's the scoop:

I was experiencing (with the 9# pulley) some erratic part-throttle (under
3+psi of boost) surging. When I decided to hook up my scanner and drive it
around (with a buddy to watch the MAP readings) I found that the MAP, under
boost, was registering 30+"hg. NOT GOOD!!

Soooo...going from some old experiences with Fords, I decided to install a
one-way check valve on the vacuum line from the TB to the MAP sensor. (This
device is found on most 76-88 Fords on the Distributor...be careful though,
some are metered and others are just open and shut.) Now, under boost, the
MAP shows 0" instead of 30+" and the part throttle/boost problem is gone.
So much for reprogramming the computer...$600 vs. $1.99. ;)

Here's the P/N: Borg-Warner - #EC601 Check Valve (You'll need some vacuum
hose to extend the line from the TB to the MAP.) I'm also working on a MAP
relocation bracket but don't know where I want to put it yet...but I need to
keep it as close to the TB as possible.

Further drivability testing is required so don't go out to your local
PepBoys just because I wrote this. I'll have better results in about a
week. (And NO...I didn't reset the computer...I didn't want to.)

- Bernd