Re: Snow tires?

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 00:20:24 EST

In a message dated 11/8/00 7:31:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us writes:

> I have checked into "winter" tires like the Blizak and they look good, but
> they strongly suggest you put them on all 4 corners. Has anybody put
> "winter" tires on just the rear?
>
> Does anyone have preferences on good-old snow tires? Any cheap on line
> sources?
>
> Drive Safe,
>
> Joe

I strongly suggest against Blizzak's, they are great for the first 5,000
miles, then they suck, they are too soft. I have had EXCELLENT luck with
Kelly Wintermark's, that is all the local Napa, Car-quest, and OK auto parts
trucks use in the winter, and we get 350"+ of snow here per winter
(Michigan's Upper Peninsula, ha ha very funny, yes people live here!)
Another alternative is to get a set of semi aggressive soft compound light
truck tires and sipe them, this is what I did last winter for our plow truck,
it worked as well as chains did the previous winter, I siped 4 Dunlop Radial
Rover R/T's these are soft, have a deep tread, and open side lugs for
paddling through the deeper snow, they would work GREAT siped on the back of
a 2wd. I don't see any problem using just rears.

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!