Hello, and I need an overdrive unit for a 42RE very badly

From: John C. Worden (scirocco@powerlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 01:24:15 EST

Hello list,
I've come looking here to see if any of you might know where there are
rebuilt or used overdrive assemblies to fit my 42RE in my '98 Dak auto 4x4.
 Mine is cracked around the mounting flange to the transfer case. The
dealer wants about $670 for a new one and can't find anything on a
rebuilt. All places I've called for rebuilts came up negative except one
small shop which wanted $600. I've had the same luck with used
ones-nothing! Has anyone else had this problem? One of the dealer techs
looked at mine when I brought it in and said he has seen another like it
and there is a back order for new overdrive units(which leads me to believe
mine isn't the first to do this).
On another note, I live in Maine and have owned my great intense blue Dak
since new in late '97. And before and anyone asks it has 75k on the
oddometer so warranty is out and it just broke, no off road excursions with
rocks or anything.

John
'98 Dak(broken)
'86 Scirocco back up