Re: Rear End choices

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:47:10 EST

At 12:24 PM 11/15/00 EST, you wrote:
>OK, since I dropped in the 408 and everything, I still haven't changed my
>rear end. I want to see how long the 8-1/4 will last, but I also don't want
>to get stranded on the side of the road with a busted rear end. I currently
>have a 9-1/4 from a van (big heavy sucker), but I also have a Ford (I know
>the bad "F" word) 9" unit that I took out from under my 4x4 since I replaced
>it with a heavy axle also. Which of these two axles would be the
strongest?
>I am going to do a mini-tub when I slide one of these under my Dakota.
Not a
>lot, but just enough to fit 13" slicks back there for racing. I am also
>going to use a ladder bar setup on the rear since I don't want to have to
>adjust a four link all the time. TIA Will

Will

Here's something from the MML that I saved for future reference that may
want to consider.
                 ----------------------------------
Actually, the one major advantage that the 9" Ford rearend has over
any other rearend is the fact that it has an additional bearing
support on the end of the pinion that is unique. This extra bearing
virtually prevents pinion deflection, which is the cause of most gear
damage.

As a point of comparison, on the three different castings for the
8-3/4", the difference is primarily in the inside diameter of the
pinion support bearings; the bigger the diameter, the stronger the
pinion is, and the better it is able to resist deflection. The Ford
bypasses this issue with the extra bearing support at the end of the
pinion.

Bob. Burlington, Ont., Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rw torque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95