Test

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 11:56:34 EST

[NL]BUZZ WATCH[NL]BUZZ BITS[NL]MORE PLANT SHUTDOWNS ETC.[PARA][PARA]Warning:
This column is often based on rumors and information derived from
unsubstantiated sources. We do not guarantee the veracity of any of the
information contained in this column. The opinions expressed in this column
are those of the Buzz Watcher, and do not represent those of Car & Truck
News or our advertisers. Read on at your own risk. Note: Any publication
that reports on the copyrighted contents of this column without giving
proper credit to www.car-truck.com as its source may be prosecuted for
copyright infringement[NL][PARA][PARA]< BUZZ COLUMN > < BUZZ NEWS >
< BUZZ LINKS >[PARA][PARA]On Thursday DC announced that they would be
shutting down their Belvidere IL. Plant (where the Neon is built) for an
extra three days next week. I've been hearing from Buzz patrollers who work
in Chrysler's assembly plants all week. They report that shutdown rumors are
rampant.[PARA]The Buzz is that both the Sterling and Warren stamping plants
may soon face shutdowns. Ace Buzz Patroller Mike reports " Jefferson North
has lost its third shift and most plants are no longer working weekends or
overtime. Even engine plants are not immune. Trenton went down last summer
and they are not working weekends or over eight hours a day."[PARA]SURVEY
SAYS[PARA]Marshall University senior Kelli S, wrote in to tell me about a
survey she and a group of other students are doing as part of their senior
project. I'll let her explain further: "For our semester project we are
doing research on DaimlerChrysler for a student advertising competition in
the spring. We are trying to get Chrysler owners' opinions on the company.
This survey is for academic purposes only an and we are not asking any
identifiable information (address, e-mail address, phone number, etc.)." You
can fill out the short survey form by clicking here [PARA]DODGE RT CLUB
SITE[PARA]Long time Buzz reader Ryan wrote in to tell me about a new site he
just started up a new site dedicated to Dodge R/T's. The site covers
everything from the Dodge Aspen R/T to the Viper R/T 10. It features lots of
interesting information and photos. There's also an extensive Forum section
where R/T fans can most messages about a variety of topics. It's a cool
site, check it out at http://www.dodgertclub.com[PARA][PARA][NL]BUZZ WATCH
EXCLUSIVE[NL]INSIDE THE NEXT JEEP[NL]PART 2: POWERTRAIN[PARA]The KJ will be
the first Chrysler vehicle to use the new 3.7 liter V6. Designed
specifically for Jeep and light truck use, the new engine will be built at
the new Mack 2 engine plant. The closest relative to this new cutting edge
engine is the 4.7 liter Powertech V8 that Chrysler first introduced in the
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. [PARA]Like its predecessor the 3.9 (which was
essentially a 5.2 (318 cid) V8 with two cylinders lopped off), the 3.7 is
basically a six-cylinder version of the 4.7 liter V8. Like the 4.7 it has a
cast iron block and two cast aluminum cylinder heads with a single overhead
camshaft per bank and two valves per cylinder. The heads feature the same
(almost) hemispheric fast-burn" combustion chambers as the 4.7. [PARA]The V6
displaces 3700 cm3 (225 cid) with a relatively small bore of 3.66 inches
which helps reduce the overall length of the engine. The stroke is 2.31
inches. Driveability is enhanced by variable fuel injection timing, head
mounted sequential multi-port injection, a quick-sensing inlet-side
positioned thermostat and coil-on-plug ignition, in which each individual
spark plug has its own secondary ignition coil.[PARA]These design features
all help increase engine life. The 3.7 is designed to operate 150,000 miles
(240,000 km) under normal conditions without part replacement (other than
normal maintenance items). Like on the 4.7, a molded composite intake
manifold creates optimum airflow, however the 3-piece unit on the 3.7 has
shorter runners in order to create more torque and HP at higher
speeds.[PARA]The new V6 is said to put out 210hp at 5200 rpm and 225 lb. ft
of torque at 4000 rpm. In comparison the current 4.0 liter (242 cid) in-line
six used in the Jeep line makes 190hp at 4400rpm and 225 lb. ft of torque at
3000 rpm. The 3.9 V6 used in the truck line makes 175 hp @ 4800pm and 230
lb. ft of torque @ 3200 rpm. [PARA]Fuel economy for the 3.7 is said to be 17
city / 21 highway. The current 4.0 gets 16 in town and 21 on the highway,
the 3.9 gets 15 city and 21 highway. To meet ever toughening emission
standards for 2002 and beyond, the 3.7 uses three catalytic converters. Two
mini converters are mounted near the exhaust manifolds to handle emissions
after start-up. The primary converter is mounted under the floor. The engine
meets Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standards for all 50 states. It will be
matted with the NV3550 5-speed manual transmission, (first introduced on the
2000 Wrangler) and the 45RFE automatic (used on the Grand Cherokee)[PARA]The
KJ's base engine will be the a tweaked version of the 2.4 liter four banger
used in vehicles like the PT Cruiser and Dodge minivans. In Jeep trim the
engine is said to put out 154 hp and 167 lb.ft. of torque. It will be matted
to Jeep's new NV1500 manual five-speed. Deep Jeep tells me that this engine
will not be available until mid-summer 2001.[PARA]A redesigned 2.5 liter
turbo diesel will also be offered. The updated engine features more power
and torque, better fuel efficiency and reduced noise output. It uses a one
piece, cast aluminum head with four valves per cylinder and centrally
mounted injectors. The engine uses a common rail direct injection fuel
delivery system.[PARA]The engine puts out 140 hp (a 25 hp increase over the
current model) and an impressive 253 lb. ft. of torque (56 more than the
current 2.5). Unfortunately the diesel will not be offered in the US market.
Look for part 3 in the next Buzz Watch.[PARA]