C-clip vs non C-clip (from experience) was I broke my rear at VMP

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 20:35:19 EST

In a message dated 11/19/00 7:01:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Y2KDakuda@aol.com writes:

> hey Matt I broke the reae axle on my 99 and the tire came off the truck
> with
> the axle still on it. when the gears went the truck set there and didn't
> move.
>
> Chris

That's why I'm going 8 3/4, and a Detroit locker, if you break an axle in a
C-clip rear end, the wheel brakes and axle all leave you and you have the one
of none wide track Dakota, Not cool, especially since you loose all your rear
brakes at the same time when you press the pedal and it explodes that wheel
cylinder. With an 8 3/4 or a 9" the axle is retained on the flanged end by a
bearing and a retainer. If you break an axle (I have about 15 broken 9"
shafts to prove this) the retainer keeps the axle in the vehicle and you keep
your brakes. With an open rear end or even a Sure Grip, you still won't
move, the preload on the unit isn't enough to over come the bias of 100%
traction as opposed to 0 traction (broken shaft). However the same situation
with a welded rear axle or spool, or Detroit locker, you will still move, it
will still power the broken axle as well as the one that is still intact.
I've driven out of the woods with broken rear shafts about 13 times, once I
broke both shafts at the same time and chose to replace them on the trail,
for a total of 15 that I broke before switching to Strange shafts. The tire
will lean in slightly on the side with the broken shaft, so you will know
what broke. This is why I want a 8 3/4, I have no desire to have a 9" under
my Dodge, no thank you, if I wanted something stronger than a 8 3/4 I'd buy a
Dana 60. I just hope I don't have to sell my 8 3/4 to finance my
Transmission!

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!