RE: RE: 5spd tranny fluid change

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 08:00:21 EST

Curt,
tranny fluid back then. Here is one of the post from that time frame.
Rich - Ashburn, VA
-----------------

This was posted by GSWillhite@ualr.edu on 2/28/00

Just wanted to let everyone know I've tested 2
synthetics in my 5 speed transmission:

Redline MTL (GL-2 thru GL-4 equiv.)

Amsoil (GL-2 thru GL-5 equiv.)

This was just a basic test to see if I could tell
the difference in speed (shifting) and normal drive
shifting smoothness. I used a mixture 1 quart Mopar
manual tranny fluid with 1 quart of synthetic. I
gave each synthetic 5k miles. Also I hope the Amsoil
did not contain reactive sulphur which could damage
the synchros in the transmission. I could not find
any data on this oil that said it did or did not
contain it, but decided to give it a try. On the other
hand the Redline MTL label stated that other brands
contained reactive sulphur and implied it did not.

So after 10K miles the hands down winner in my opinion
was the Redline MTL. Much smoother shifting than the
Amsoil. The MTL started out very smooth and ended the
test in the same way, compared to the Amsoil which started
out good and went downhill (slightly chunky in shifting)
I feel the Amsoil caused me to miss a downshift the other
day from 5th to 2nd causing hellacious wheel hop. I've
never did this before and what a rush!!! Well the Amsoil
was drained Sunday morning and in went more Redline/Mopar
fluid. I'm going to stick with this combo for a while. BTW
I'm taking the liberty to repost Bill Maurits excellant
thread on the identity of the Mopar tranny oil.

GS -