Re: 4.7 Engines... Built right

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 23:02:35 EST

Hey Will, why would you sell it immediately if the gasket blows. If you see it happens
and pull over and have it towed or whatever you should be fine. There may be some other
damage to deal with but as long as you do something about it when it happens it's not
that big of deal. I've had a couple of different vehicles in the past that had this
happen (alot of miles, etc.) and it does cost a little bit to fix (mainly labor) but just
being careful and doing something about it when it happens usually there is no prob. You
really have problems when you just ignore it and keep driving. That's when you don't want
to deal with it. Also, understand that a blown head gasket is actually a fairly rare
thing on a modern engine especially with the way you drive. No offense in that but since
you are so easy on it I would be surprised if it ever happens to you. As for Josh noting
his oil I would be very surprised in modern engine if it burned any at all. Some engine
will go through a little when you first break it in but it shouldn't really use enough to
be noticeable. I'm not an expert but have had quite a few cars in the last few and none
of them have ever burned a drop.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+