Re: Re: Winter and no heat!!! ALSO: Checking for leaks

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 11:05:15 EST

I seemed to have to replace a LOT of coolant when I did my stat last
weekend. When I removed the upper hose from the radiator (top left
corner as you're sitting in the truck), I lost maybe 2 drops of
coolant. When I pulled housing off the manifold (couldn't get in there
to remove the hose from the housing), I obviously lost whatever was in
the hose.

However, when I topped things off after putting everything back in
place, I had to add a LOT more than I lost. Probably close to double.
This, combined with the greenish crust I found around the
housing/manifold junction, leads me to believe I was leaking coolant
around the thermostat housing.

Before reassembly, I ground off the 2 little nubs on the surface of the
housing that the gasket goes up against on a recommendation my father
from the DOC; apparently a lot of Durangos have had leaking in this area
and this is the cure. In addition, I put a good layer of RTV on each
side of the gasket. 500 miles later, things are totally clean and dry
in there.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness -------------------------------------------------------------