Re: Quad Cab Questions

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 22:54:56 EST

Crit, The NV3500 problems are not new, I had just hoped they had figured
that out before I got my truck.Obviously not.In my hometown, several of my
friends had 318/5-spd dakotas.There were 3 of them that had 2 transmissions
to fail within a year of purchase,and one that had just one fail.All of
these friends have since traded their dakotas for other vehicles because
they couldn't handle being without their trucks.One of the guys had a
318/5-spd reg cab 2wd,3.55 open gear.He got the truck with 13 miles on it.At
5,100 miles on it,original transmission lost 2nd&3rd,and was replaced.At
8,900 miles,transmission #2 lost 3rd gear,was replaced and truck was traded
within the week(truck was 8 months old).All of the trucks that I have seen
lost 3rd gear first,and then 2nd.3rd gear seems like the definite weak spot
in these trannys,followed closely by 2nd gear synchros grenading.I have also
seen shift forks bent,gear teeth eaten off,and much more.On the plus
side,all the clutches were original and looked perfect when we put the new
trannys in.Oh yeah, the OE throwout bearings suck! I replaced one of my
friend's T/O bearing when the tranny was out and it never made the horrible
grinding noise the stocker did! I would definitely buy the extended
warranty,because even if you got a "good" one,it will probably need new
synchros & possibly some other parts before 100k.HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
1ST place Dakota-truck at 11th annual Houston Mopar show and race/National
DML meet!!