Why Overdrive off?

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 00:34:36 EST

Why would you want it off? I never turn mine off unless descending a
steep grade. My truck does not shift into od unless i go more than 40
anyway. At speeds below this it shouldn't matter. At the shop where I
work we have 2 96 Rams with 3.9 V6 and auto od. We never turn the od
off and 1 truck has about 120k miles on it, the other 160k. The trannys
have never required any repair on either truck. The default setting is
od on for better gas mileage. Even in od the truck should downshift
under slight acceleration unless the throttle position cable is
improperly adjusted. If pulling a trailer or driving in very hilly
country it might be a good idea to turn it off to keep it from shifting
constantly but otherwise I'd leave it on. On my truck if I turn it off I
have a top speed of about 100 because I hit redline but if I leave it on
it will shift into od at about 85 even at full throttle. I notice in the
Chevy police cars we work on at the shop there is a sign on the spedo
that says use od when in pursuit. I guess the car will go faster in od
at top speed. I know my R/T will.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC