Re: Dak failed VET testing - need advice

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 11:07:52 EST

At 02:06 PM 11/27/00, you wrote:
>My dakota failed the VET (vehicle emmision test) this past Saturday. Just
>so everyone is on the same page, they just do emmision testing. One part of
>the test involves running the truck between 30 and 35mph and testing the
>emmisions. The other involves testing at idle. Well, the truck passed with
>flying colors on the 30-35 test, but failed on the idle. It's something to
>do with high levels of hydrocarbons and other stuff. They give you a list
>of things that can be the cause. This list includes air filter, spark
>plugs/wires, o2 sensors, pcv valve.....ect. What I need is a list of stuff
>that I can replace. I would like to avoid the o2 sensor due to price unless
>it fails again.

I just got under the max. HC reading allowed up here in Ontario.
The tester told me that the number one cause for high HC readings
was vacuum leaks.

>Right now I'm looking at cleaning my K&N (and actually removing it before
>next test), new plugs (suggestions????), new plug wires (suggestions
>again???), and will probably run a bottle of alcohol or the like before
>retesting. Any help would be great!

All that you've listed would be good. Replacing the distributor cap and rotor
wouldn't hurt while you're at it. Autolite 5224s would probably be as good
as any and not expensive. The MP wires have worked for me but MSD, Taylor
are high quality wires as well.

When you go for the retest, run it on the hiway for about 1/2 hour before
and do not have a full tank of gas. If you feel your gas cap is not up to
scratch, replace it ... stats have shown that's one of the most common causes
up here for test failure.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Bob