Re: Dak failed VET testing - need advice

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 19:46:28 EST

> My dakota failed the VET (vehicle emmision test) this past Saturday. Just
> so everyone is on the same page, they just do emmision testing. One part
of
> the test involves running the truck between 30 and 35mph and testing the
> emmisions. The other involves testing at idle. Well, the truck passed
with
> flying colors on the 30-35 test, but failed on the idle. It's something
> do with high levels of hydrocarbons and other stuff. They give you a list
> of things that can be the cause. This list includes air filter, spark
> plugs/wires, o2 sensors, pcv valve.....ect. What I need is a list of
stuff
> that I can replace. I would like to avoid the o2 sensor due to price
unless
> it fails again.
> Right now I'm looking at cleaning my K&N (and actually removing it before
> next test), new plugs (suggestions????), new plug wires (suggestions
> again???), and will probably run a bottle of alcohol or the like before
> retesting. Any help would be great!
> Thanks in advance!

Failed!?........hmmmmm, my Dak passed the test in June 2000 without any
problems, with 125,000 miles on it. I would spend the $2 and get a new PCV
valve, and spend another $7 for a new set of Autolite Coppers, I am using
3924s. As far as plug wires, if you can, spend the extra money and get some
good plug wires. I spent $60 on the MSD 8.5MM Super Conductors wires about 2
years ago and think they are some damn good wires. They are MSD PN#32189,
which are for 94-97 V8 Rams. I would also run a bottle of fuel system
cleaner through an entire tank, and run that tank down before
testing.......go in using a fresh tank. Just my thoughts.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6