Re: Re: Re: Overdrive issue - leave OD OFF!

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 20:54:42 EST

I talked today with a transmission shop about this issue. they said in the
early days of auto od in the early 80s some veichles did wear out parts sooner
if the od was used in the with. We had an 80 Mercury Marquee that recommended
not using the od except on the highway. this was when you and a different
position on the gear selector for "OD" or "D". The transmission man did not
remember this statement being made of Chrysler transmissions though. It was
also true of early GM overdrives also. The first Chrysler veichle I owned that
had auto OD was my 89 Shelby Dakota and it had a lockout button on the dash. I
don't believe the owners manual said anything about not using OD in town
though. The transmission man said there have been less OD related problems for
the last 5 years or so. Chevrolet Police veichles state to use OD during
pursuits. I don't believe you will make your transmission last any longer by
not using OD in town. The computer will not engage OD unless the truck is going
fast enough to benefit from its use. AND PLEASE DON'T COMPARE OUR DAKS TO FERDS!