1995 v6 into a 1997 magnum v6?

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 23:46:06 EST

Hi, my buddy has wrecked his old 95 dakota 3.9 pickup for a while, and I'm
thinking of buying it.

I am planning to just get a fresh ported and polished, port matched, decked
heads v6 into my 97 dakota (which I feel is still running stong, but could
do better)

Would a 1995 v6 engine be the same as a 1997? Someone please tell me it's
the same except for a few electrical connectors. I looked at a 1996 when I
worked at Valvoline, and it appeared to have the same beer barrel intake as
mine, and it looked the same, so will all the accessories and everything
work out?

Also, if I had this motor completely redone, where can I get a nice cam for
it? Custom grind? I have NO idea what the lift duration, cam lobes, and
all that good stuff does. Anyone have any good numbers I can just use to
have a cam ground out? and where and how much?

What else can I do? Maybe a little bored over? I'm gonna guess 318 pistons
will work? Some lightweight connecting rods while I'm at it? please send
ideas over here...
-Dester