RE: FW: Stall condition?

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 12:44:15 EST

Casey, I've got a 97 cc V6 that has developed the exact same
problem. It stumbles at idle and quits unless I give it some
gas. I also started the technique of feathering off the gas
pedal, and it will sometimes stumble and catch itself, and then
idle fine. Other times it goes ahead and dies. I cleaned out
my IAC a while back, when this problem started, and it didn't
seem to help much. I don't know if it's coincedence or not, but
it seems like it started this when I installed my homebrew air
intake.

On another note (this may or may not be related to the stall issue),
I've noticed my battery has been losing its potency with the colder
weather lately. It's been more reluctant to crank in the mornings.
Well, this morning, it cranked once, and then nothing. I let it
set for a minute, then tried again, and it cranked once and then
nothing. Tried it a third time, and it cranked a little better and
actually fired up briefly, and then stumbled and quit (like the idle
problem). This is where it gets weird... I hit the key again, and it
cranked over very enthusiastically. And kept cranking. And kept
cranking. It sounded like the engine wasn't even trying to run, and
I started thinking the timing chain went south because it was cranking
over so fast all of a sudden. It was raining out and I really didn't
feel like getting out and checking for spark and all that, so I kept
trying to get it to start. After a few minutes, I decided to try
cranking it with the accelerator pushed to the floor. This time, it
very hesitantly stumbled around and fired up, and for the first few
seconds it sounded reminiscent of a vehicle that had skipped a few
timing teeth, sputtering and backfiring and whatnot. I revved it for
a bit, then let it drop down to idle, and then it was fine.

I plan to get a new battery soon, I'm hoping this will solve the problem.
It was just very strange that it barely could turn the engine over one
minute, then the next minute, it cranked over like there was no tomorrow,
yet hesitated to start.

anyone else have anything like this happen?

kevin d.
97 cc V6 5sp
3923's, 8.5mm superconductors, homebrew k&n air intake