RE: Question on body mounts for GenII Dak (ATTN: RON)

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 13:53:54 EST

I had a similar problem on my Dakota when I was installing the body lift.
If I were to take an experienced guess, I would say it's one of the body
mounts, right behind one of the front wheels. Dodge didn't use any form of
anti-seize on those bolts during the assembly of your truck and with the
front tires kicking crap directly on those two mounts, after a while they
will rust into place and you can't get them loose. There is a square nut
that the body bolt threads into and it was originally welded to the inner
part of the frame box prior to it being closed in. If that thing breaks
loose, The only way your going to get at it is to cut a small access hole,
large enough to insert a wrench, on the inside edge of the frame box. I
ended up blowing the head of the bolt with a torch, jacking the body up
enough to slip the body mount out and cutting the bolt down close enough to
the nut to push the nut up into the box. I then replaced the body mount and
slipped a new nut through the access hole I cut and threaded a new bolt in
with my fingers and tightened it down with a wrench through the access hole.
  Put some anti-seize on those bolts prior to reinstalling them so if you
ever have to get at it again, you won'y run into this again. Good Luck.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and a 67 Barracuda
Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM