Re: RE: Rough Idle after hard acceleration

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 19:12:57 EST

> Grab a TB gasket, some Throttle Body Cleaner, and remove it for a thorough
> cleaning...including the IAC post and plunger located on the back of the
TB.

> Had to get on the gas a little harder than normal yesterday in order to
make
> my exit off of the freeway. The truck downshifted and performed perfect.
> However, once I reached the redlight at the end of the exit ramp I noticed
> problem. As soon as I stopped the truck began to "stumble". It idled
> pretty rough, almost as if it was about to quit.
> Anything that could cause this? I'm asking due to the fact that I'm going
> to do some tune up work on it this weekend which will include an o2
sensor,
> plugs and wires, clean filter, pcv valve, and stuff like that. Is there
> anything else I should check/change?
> Also note that when I say "hard acceleration" - the truck never went past
> 3000 rpm's. I know, I know, some of you all laugh at that, but I let it
> shift at it's normal point the majority of the time.

Aaron,
A TB gasket is like $2, and a can of Gumout Throttle Body & Intake Cleaner
is another $3......so I would highly suggest a thorough throttle body
cleaning. By thorough, I mean taking it off your truck, like Bernd
suggested. I took mine off in May, when I was putting on my QuickD TB, and
even though I did shoot some TB cleaner down the bores every 10,000 miles,
the TB was dirty once I took it off and looked at it really good. You might
want to even pick up 2 cans of cleaner, and shoot an entire can(what Gumout
recommends) down the TB before taking the TB off and before changing the
plugs and 02 sensor. This way, when the buildup is being cleaned and burned
out, the plugs and 02 sensor wont be coated with crap that is blowing out of
the engine. Then take the TB off and clean it by hand. Put it back on and
then do the plugs and 02 sensor fix....this is atleast how I would do it. Be
sure to clean the AIS sensor(sensor on the backside firewall side of the TB)
tip, which will help out with idle. Taking the TB off may seem extreme, but
trust me is is really really simple to do as well as putting it back on. If
you have any problems shoot me a private email. Good Luck, Let us all know
how things turn out.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6