Re: magnum heads all crack?

From: TommFern@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 11:05:13 EST

In a message dated 12/1/00 6:41:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,

<< Subj: DML: magnum heads all crack?
 Date: 12/1/00 6:41:08 PM Pacific Standard Time
 From: jim76712@swbell.net (Jim Miller)
 Sender: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
 To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net

> >We took the heads to be checked off of the 3.9 and the machine shop said
> they
> were cracked. He said almost every 3.9 or 5.2 Mopar head they see is
> cracked.
> Anyone believe this?<<
> 100%!!
> during my 360 buildup, I went through 3 heads. All were cracked in the
#7/#8
> between the valve-seats. Out of all the heads I got one that was
crack-free,
> and one that has a small crack that passed the pressure tests..

 I Wonder Why This Is? >>
 Yep, it's a chronic problem with the magnum heads. Mine are cracked,my
buddies are cracked. My set off of a 97 have one crack that's now fixed. I
got this info from a mopar distributor: apparently there was a huge run of
heads that got over cooked at the factory. These were heads in the 92-94 year
range. They apparently are very prone to cracking. The newer heads are
supposed to be more resistant to this due to better quality control. He went
on to add that the lean out problems so may of us are experiencing adds to
the problem.(at least that part makes sense)
Tom(11s dak)