Re: Re: magnum heads all crack?

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 17:33:21 EST

In a message dated 12/2/00 7:30:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
steve239dak@yahoo.com writes:

> Bummer.I thought the Magnum motors were an improvement
> over the pre-mags in every respect.But the old motors
> did not really have this problem,did they? The old
> 318`s could take any kind of abuse or neglect,and not
> suffer.Maybe it IS just a heat-related problem with
> the higher op-temps of today`s engines. Steve P.

Not necessarily, any engine can crack the head between the valves, or in the
exhaust seat, it's especially common in truck engines that get worked and
loaded heavily. Sodium filled valves help some, they help dissipate heat
from the seat. Lower coolant temps may help too, hard to say. I just did a
set of pre mag 360 heads that I had to put 8 intake seats in and 8 exhaust
seats in, because they were cracked between the valves. Unless they leak
it's usually fixable. More than anything it's just combustion chamber temps.

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!