Thermostat housing coolant leaks WAS: Winter and No Heat!

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 19:20:59 EST

Apparently the sarcasm didn't come through.

A lot of Durango owners with the 318 and 360 have had coolant leakage
problems at the thermostat housing. When I swapped my thermostat, I
found a large amount of green crust on the housing and the manifold - it
took quite a bit of work to clean all the gunk off. I think it's a safe
assumption that it was coolant leaking out, and minerals in the water
they filled the radiator with calcifying.

The thermostat housing has 2 little nubs on it that are supposed to mate
up with 2 dimples on the intake manifold. They're meant to locate &
align the housing properly. The problem is, they also cause the gasket
to get a poor seal, and thus leak.

The DOC solution (which I applied) is to grind the nubs off the housing
with a Dremel, leaving you with a smooth surface for the gasket to mate
to. I also applied a healty layer of high temperature RTV to both sides
of the gasket. Almost 1000 miles later, things are clean and dry in the
area where I previously had the green crust.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness -------------------------------------------------------------